To spark ideas and providing meaningful quotes.
- 9% of the time is spent in writing
- 16% the time is spent in reading
- 30% of the time is spent in speaking
- 45% of the time is spent in listening
However, we have the mental capacity to understand someone speaking at 400 words per minute, if that were possible.
When we listen to the average speaker, we’re using only 25% of our capacity. We still have 75% of our mind to focus on more than what the speaker is saying. That explains much of our listening problems.
Finish the following sentences:
When someone genuinely listens to me with their whole being, I feel _________
Listening is hard work because _________________.
When someone is speaking to me, I tune them out because _______________.
(What’ In It For Me?)
- Listening Deepens Friendships
- Listening Values People
- Listening Lessens Conflict
- Listening Builds Respect
- Listening Transforms Success into Significance
- In real life, what do Sounds of Silence sound like to you?
- What helps you to hear Sounds of Silence?
- Why are “Sounds of Silence” an unusual experience for most people?
- Tell me more... Please explain your thinking
- Teach me about _____________
- In your opinion where is this thing going?
- Please compare and contrast for me
- Could you clarify your point about
- How did you get to this point of understanding
"You can not truly listen to anyone and
do something else at the same time."
-- M. Scott Peck
"Do and then teach."
-- Jesus, The Master Treacher of Nazareth
"Most people do not listen to understand
They listen with the intent to respond."
-- Steven A Covey
"One of the most sincere forms of respect is
actually listening to what another has to say."
-- Brian McGill
“I know you think you understand what
you thought I said, but I am not sure you
realize that what you heard is not what I said.”
(Do you identify with the speaker, or the one who is being spoken to? Explain.)
The failure to effectively listen results in (check ALL answers that apply) :__ small to significant misunderstandings occur
__ more conflicts happen
__ friendships and relationships go south
__ blood pressure goes up
__ frustration sets in
__ mistakes happen more frequently
“Do and then TEACH, resulting in MULTIPLICATION.”To teach (generation one)
teachers (generation two) who teach
teachers (generation three) others
(generation four) to become effective listeners.